Your dental practice is a brand. If your brand has a website, then we know that more people are likely to come to it from search engines than anyplace else. That means Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to secure a high-ranking placement in the search results pages, is an essential means of marketing for anybody doing business on the internet.
Is SEO a science or an art? Science is facts or truths systematically arranged showing the operation of general laws. Art is the conscious use of skill and creative imagination.
Here are 10 reasons SEO is a science; 13 reasons it’s an art.
1) #1 reason people come to your website
2) 80% of people click on a website that is on the natural or organic side of the search engine page (source: Search Engine Watch)
3) 35% click through to a website that is in the #1 position (source: SEO Book)
4) 90% click through on a website that is on the 1st page (source: Search Engine Watch)
5) Algorithms that comprise hundreds of criteria determine how websites rise or fall in rank for specific keywords
7) Demand for those keywords, if it is increasing or decreasing over time, is measurable through Google Trends. So you can even predict what their value is both now and in the future.
9) Value the links, whether they are high or low value authority, can be determined by SEO Majestic and Marketing Grader.
10) Machines, or search bots, that do the searches on Google, Yahoo, Bing and other search engines are programmed to even identify the underlying meanings behind keywords to return the most meaningful results. The is called Semantic Search, already to playing a more important role with the Google “Hummingbird” algorithm.
1) Search bots don’t buy your product, people do.
2) It is impossible to model an algorithm on the needs of human being.
3) Models can’t study your niche, let alone know your patient’s internet surfing habits or their shopping behavior.
4) Keyword research takes creativity to know what is best for your audience and where there is an opportunity.
5) A top rank doesn’t mean people take the action you want unless you’re clear with them on your website.
6) Good, relevant, quality content is what readers (and algorithms) want. If you focus on this, search visibility follows.
7) SEO is thinking about how marketing can encompass social, graphic design, link building, content generation, and PR to drive toward a common goal.
8) SEO and marketing is creating social buzz (especially with Google+).
9) High value links have to be placed where they are going to be most relevant and cause the most desirable actions
10) Marketers, not machines and models, tell good stories. Use keywords consistently and naturally, and flow them seamlessly into your copy.
11) Titles that convince people have clarity, creativity, and imagination. The right keywords and key phrases just happen to be in them.
12) If you view SEO as a byproduct of good content, high search rank generally follows.
13) SEO won’t make your practice a success, but you will.
So, not surprising then, in conclusion SEO is Art and Science. Whilst there are tactical, technical elements to address fundementally, it is the promotional elements, identifying opportunities and knowing your patinets that add the finsihing touches to your SEO strategy.
Call Dental Design on 0120 677277 should you wish to discuss SEO in more detail and how it can help your dental practice.